Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Still awake

It's now 7:00 a.m. (What's with the time on this blog site? It said that my last post was published at midnight or something crazy like that. )

I never did go to sleep. The Graduate was on (still is, actually) and it's just such a good movie. Dustin Hoffman is a fantastic actor. He's so young in this film. He looks just like Tom Cruise--or Tom Cruise looks just like him, I suppose.

I have eaten a half-dozen chocolate covered pretzels, a half of a peanut butter cookie, the remnants of a bag of Frito Scoops and leftover refried beans. What in the hell is wrong with me?! I mean, it hasn't been that long ago that I consumed most of an entire goose. I'm not hungry.

Poor Benjamin (Dustin Hoffman). He can't win for losing. I forget how the movie ends. . .he gets the girl, right?

Speaking of forgetting, I forgot earlier in my last post to mention my ace in the hole with regards to my grandmother: Robin Wood (Robinwood?) Assisted Living Community.

My grandmother applied for a spot at Robin Wood back in. . .April? of 2004, sometime right after Mr. Bennett died. She was told then that it might be six months to a year of waiting but here we are nearly two years later and she's still 12 on the list. Current residents have to die or get carted off to a nursing home in order for others to go down on the list, which is kinda depressing and morbid to think about. But no matter, Grandma will remain on the list. Just in case.

Just in case I absolutely, positively, simply cannot deal with her. Just in case she torments me to the point that I feel homicidal. Just in case it comes down to a choice between my husband and my grandmother. Just in case her presence causes the children to cry hysterically at the thought of coming home. Just in case. We still have Robin Wood.

If you know my grandmother you know that there's a really good chance that any of the above-mentioned scenarios could actually play out. That's the sad part. I'm not making it up, the woman is THAT difficult and insufferable. Or, rather, she can be. A lot of the time. Often. But hopefully not too often. I'm crossing my fingers that this is really not going to be that bad. There is a chance that maybe, just maybe, moving her in with us is going to result in a whole new grandma. A grandma who is at least moderately happy with her life. Happy enough that she'll manage to talk about something other than herself and how bad she feels and how much she hurts, because right now that's all we ever hear from her and it gets old fast. But hopefully living with us will help with that.

I'm such an optimist.

Ugh, now there's an Elvis movie on. Blech. Where's the remote. . .

(Yes, Dustin got the girl in the end. That was a great movie!)

I have got to get some sleep! I have so much to do today. Lizzie's birthday is tomorrow and I have to take the Christmas tree down so that I can move the dining table back into the dining room so that she and her girlfriends can have the back room during the sleepover. I also have to take her to Party City to buy supplies for the party. And then I have to purchase a birthday cookie for her, as well as other junk food for the sleepover. And it looks like I'm going to have to accomplish all of that while being sleep deprived.

Wow, it's going to be in the 60s this week! I guess winter is over. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.