Saturday, December 31, 2005

Sleepless in Wendell

Yarg. Can't sleep. Again. This time instead of going to sleep and waking up at some ungodly hour, I'm just not going to go to sleep at all. That's how it would seem right now, anyway.

So what's keeping me up? First guess is the cup of coffee I consumed after dinner. Second guess though is the house.

The inspection report has been written up and will be sent to the sellers in the a.m. There are two big issues that need to be taken care of, either by them paying for the repairs or by dropping the price some: moisture problems in the crawl space and some water damage over by the back door. I'm truly hoping that they decide to just fix things because I know how it'll go if they decide to come down on the price instead: we'll say we're going to take care of it but we'll never get around to it until visible damage has been done and then it'll be a really big, expensive deal.

Of course they could also say that they aren't going to do anything at all, that we can either take it or leave it. In that case we'd have to decide what we'd do. And would we take it, or leave it? I honestly can't say right now what I'd be inclined to do. I truly hope that I'm not faced with such a decision. I like this house and I'd hate to lose it at this point. (This point being the point at which I can imagine us being in it, which was the same point I was at with the Olde Wendell house when I had to realize that it wasn't going to be.)

Another house subject keeping me awake is the financing. I can't decide if it's better to put a large amount down and live with nearly zero dollars in savings or if it's better to live with a slightly higher payment, less of a down payment and a second mortgage in the form of a home equity loan that will result in keeping a larger chunk of change in the bank. I've called a financial advisor here in town and left a message, but with today being Friday. . .no, it's Saturday now, technically, and with Monday being a holiday for most people, I'll bet that it will be sometime towards to middle of next week before he calls me back. And then I'll be caught up in month-end close stuff at work and won't have any opportunity to meet and talk until the end of the week and by then the mortgage broker will be hassling me about locking in to a rate and into deciding which route we're going to go re: financing.

Blah.

And I know it's premature, but another issue keeping my mind busy is decorating. I hope that we'll be in this house (once we actually get in the house) for a long time. I really don't see myself moving again for quite a while--probably not until both William and Elizabeth are grown and gone and I need to downsize; therefore, I want to furnish the house and decorate it with items that I'm going to be happy with for an extended period of time. And I want to do it right; i. e. purchase quality items that will last. But I can't do that without any money and so if I want to keep some money then I have to do the financing deal that let's us put the least amount down but yet avoid PMI. But is that the most financially savvy way to go? And of course none of this matters at all if the sellers refuse to make repairs and/or concessions in price.

Round and round and round the issues go. . .