Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Water Gods Must Be Angry

I must've done something awful in a past life--some type of water karma transgression somewhere along the way--for the water gods certainly seem out to get me.

Seriously. Check it out:
  • The end of xmas vacation and the toilet, which has obviously been leaking for some time, decides to show itself and what a good job its done of rotting the floor. We had to spend an unbudgeted $300 to get that fixed and it was a complete pain the @ss. Dad gave up an entire day off of work to help us. (Thanks Dad!)
  • The very night after we got the leaky toilet/rotted floor repaired, the washing machine drained and caused icky stuff to bubble up in the bathtub and then the toilet wouldn't flush. Talk about panic! Fortunately it wasn't anything that we could control, it was a block in the line down the road and the Town fixed it. But still, I only knew to call the Town first because we'd had that happen before and we just assumed that it was something that we had done, so we spent $200 on Roto-Rooter only to find out that something two blocks away had caused.
  • And now the house buying thing now hinges on high levels of moisture (water!) in the crawlspace.
I have water fears, too. I often dream of tsunamis crashing down on me. (I've had these dreams for a long time--way before last year's devastating tsunami in South-East Asia.) When I was a kid I used to dream that we lived in a giant water tower and I had to swim everywhere I wanted to go. And I could never find my mother.

I honestly think I have some kind of bad water joo-joo going on. Maybe it's the ghost of Uncle Ross? He did say he was going to haunt me. And he did have water issues himself--it'd only be fitting that he choose this way of tormenting me. Or maybe it's my irrational fear and loathing of camel crickets that's doing it. I have washed more than my fair share of bathroom lurking camel crickets down the drain pipes. Maybe god is a camel cricket and she's getting me back?

I dunno. I just hope I've paid whatever penance it takes to appease the angry water powers-that-be and they leave me alone for awhile. The true test though will be the house.

According to MY agent, the seller's agent said that they (the sellers) would put down vapor barrier, but they aren't going to install a French drain. And there was something said about how the woman doesn't really have to sell or something crazy like that. (What's WITH these people who don't really want to sell their homes. Why in the H*LL would you put your house on the market if you're not wanting to sell it?!) Well, fine, I don't really have to buy their house. In fact, I don't have to buy any house. I have a perfectly good house to live in. So there, crazy seller woman. No wonder her homeowner's association wants to sue her and all her neighbor's hate her. (:-P )