Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Resolutions

I must admit that I haven't been doing so well re: my New Year's resolutions.

I have managed to exercise more--three to four times a week so far. And I'm eating a lot better than I did during the weeks between Thanksgiving and Xmas, for sure, but as far as the patience thing, well. . .

I have tried. Really I have. But I can't seem to not get all upset with stupid people. Particularly stupid people in traffic.

Yeah, yeah, I know, anyone who is driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster a maniac (George Carlin). But. . . Gosh darnit! I just can't stand inconsiderate *ssholes and it seems that our highways are absolutely teeming with them. It's as though people get into their cars, lock their doors, buckle up and *poof* they are transported to another dimension--a world in which they are the only person in existence. Not all people, of course, but a lot.

You know what I'm talking about.

So what goes through the minds of these folks?

I think it's something along the lines of: "Oh, gee, there are four lanes to choose from on this highway? How wonderful! I think this fourth, leftmost lane is the prettiest and since there is absolutely no one else in the world in existence I will drive in this leftmost, prettiest lane. Even though there are three other lanes to choose from and I don't really feel safe going over 55 mph.--this lane seems like the best place for me to be. Besides, driving in this lane will give me a chance to catch up on my reading/flossing/makeup application/shaving, etc. What's that in my rearview mirror? Another car? Surely that can't be because I have already determined that I am the only person in the universe! So la-la-la-la-la I'll just keep right on driving out here and reading this book."

OK, so if it's not something like that then what? What else can explain why otherwise nice, polite, civilized people morph into self-centered, self-righteous, inconsiderate morons once they strap themselves into their vehicles?

I try to take deep breaths and tell myself to "just let it go." But so far I'm not having much luck. I swear one of these days I'm either going to a) have a heart attack from the stress and anger, b) be the leading story on the 6 o'clock news for some atrocious act of road rage or c) die in a fiery, Kamikaze-like auto crash having decided that enough is enough, that the gods will surely reward me greatly for eliminating several *sshole drivers in one fell swoop.

Satellite radio is helping. I looooove my new satellite radio. But even that has its issues. There are so many (absolutely crappy) radio stations in this area that the receiver thingy doesn't always get good reception because all the (crappy) radio stations bleed into the frequencies that aren't already spoken for. When that happens the satellite radio is fuzzy and hard to listen to and I become angry and frustrated. Then I risk my life trying to find a "good" station to get reception on while driving like a bat out of hell down the freeway. But it's either that or get upset at my fellow drivers. Not sure yet which is worse.

I guess the answer is that I need to just forget the receiver thingy and buy a satellite radio equipped head unit.

But until then. . .

I will keep working on developing patience and love for all the bozos out there cutting me off and driving like snails in the fast lane. I promise I will.