Monday, January 23, 2006

Countdown

It's the Monday before the week of the Tuesday that we close. The appraisal has been completed, the attorney has been scheduled. We're on for the 31st.

I'm on the phone with my grandmother at this very moment. She's stressing out about going to the doctor tomorrow. Supposedly, her doctor at Duke called today and wants her to come in tomorrow--very important, MUST be there to examine the injured hip. No ifs, ands or buts. (Just hips :-)

She has to be there at 2 p.m. Wouldn't be but such a big deal, except that I have to be at a 9 a.m. meeting in RTP. No getting around this one--it's the biggie to find out whether or not I still have a job in my "real" department.

Naturally, Dad says he has a closing and a walk-through at 2 p.m. (he works for this high-end, *sshole builder who cuts him no slack), so the chances of him being able to do it are slim to none (although I am supposed to call him in the a.m. to see if he can get out of it--I think he only says these things to give me some kind of false hope).

Liz says that she can't take off because it's not on the "two week schedule." (Oh, and BTW, since we're on the subject, kiss my big white *ss, Jane the-Yankee-control-freak-ice-queen-ugly-b*tch-waste-of-tax-payer-money Labounty! I can but hope that you and I meet up in a long, dark alley one of these days so I can pummel your pointy, albino, Wicked Witch of the West nose to a pulp! You ought to be taken out and beaten and then forced to attend how-to-be-an-effective-manager-and-NOT-waste-our-hard-earned-tax-payer-dollars classes until you DIE!)

(*Whew* I feel better! I HATE the woman my aunt works for. If you couldn't tell. :-)

Anyway, so it looks like it's going to be up to me to go from Wendell to RTP to Wendell to Durham back to Wendell tomorrow. Either that or Grandma just doesn't go to the doctor.

Did you get that?

From Wendell to RTP (36 miles), back to Wendell (36 miles), back to RTP (36 miles) back to Wendell (36 miles). Almost 150 miles! In one day. And I have already asked to work from home on Wednesday because I plan to take Lizzie to the Carnage open house that afternoon.

Fortunately I still work for Luanne, who seems to understand these things, but even she has her breaking point and I'm afraid I might cross it by asking for two days of understanding back to back. Particularly since I was (still am) so frazzled today by the upcoming ACVA announcement that I couldn't focus and got, essentially, nothing accomplished today. (Not to mention that I took Lizzie to work with me because it was a teacher workday.)

I know that it could be worse. Things can always be worse, no matter the current situation. But jeez, this is getting pretty bad.

What am I going to do?

Do I just let Grandma suffer with her injured hip? Or do I ask for the time off and risk having Luanne unhappy with me and/or having to take precious personal time that I can't really afford because I know I'll need it for the move?

Or, hey, if I'm told tomorrow that I'm being laid off this all works itself out.

Blah. :-P