Saturday, March 18, 2006

The week that was a month long

So it's been one whole week now that Grandma has been with us. It feels like a lot longer than just a week, but yeah, it's only been seven days.

The beginning of the week did not go well. Grandma was suffering from some gastrointestinal distress of sorts and, while I won't go into any gory details, let's just say I'm very happy that it's over and I'm hoping that we never have to go through something like that again.

She's balked several times over the whole "please" thing, but in general she hasn't been too bad about it. Better than I expected, actually. With the one exception being the episode where she thought she'd test me on it in the middle of her cardiologist's waiting room. Kinda like a little kid, you know, who acts up in public to see if mommy will actually backhand him in the presence of other people. And no, I didn't backhand her (not that it wasn't tempting) but I did not back down on my expectation that she ask me for what she wants in a nice and polite way, no matter if we're in the middle of a waiting room and she is trying embarrass me into doing whatever it takes to keep her quiet.

Of course, the big test will be this evening. The whole family is coming over to eat dinner and celebrate my father's birthday (March 13 was his birthday--happy bday, Dad!). It's going to be a wonderful opportunity for Grandma to stir up trouble and try to get away with being rude and impolite. It'll be interesting to see how she does.

Well *sigh* it's already nearly 10 a.m. and William has to be taken into work for a "talk" with da boss. Not sure what this means for him. Obviously he's done something that warrants a talking to for it, but I hope they're not letting him go. I would have been devastated to have gotten fired at his age. Actually, I'd be devastated to get fired at any age. I've never been fired in my life. Knock on. . .something. Would love to get through my entire life without that particular experience. Anyway, point is, I gotta get up from here and get going.

No rest for the mommy.